Monday, September 15, 2014

Software Update synchronization from an existing WSUS server

When using ConfigMgr as a update source for WSUS updates, I prefer downloading updates from the internet. In some cases however it's better to use an existing WSUS server as an update source. This because the internet line speed is to slow, or updates are already downloaded on another server. You can use that one for downloading the first batch off software updates. Very handy if you ask me! Just select to "Download software updates from a location on my network" and updates will be downloaded within a few minutes.

This can be done on the following location:
-ConfigMgr console > Software Library > Software Updates > All Software Updates > Download (selection) > Download software updates from a location on my network (Browse)

Just use it to your advantage! No need to download updates again, if they are available already on an existing WSUS server.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Henk
    I tried this on our SCCM 2012 R2 server but I alway get the error message "The system cannot find the path specified"
    Any Idea what I'm doing wrong.

    Regards,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Henk
    I did this with a user which has sufficient rights. I only see a directory structure which is created on the location of the deployment package but within this directories there is no data present.
    Regards,
    Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m running into the same problem. Just following up to see if there was an update to this

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys, I figured it out for SCCM 2012/R2. You get the update in a .msu format. You need to extract the .cab and the other files in the folder, from which you want to download it. After that, go ahead and browse it from the SCCM from the network location, where the update files are extracted. Now the download should complete successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys, I figured it out. You get the update in .msu format. You need to extract it in the network folder from where you want to download it. After you have extracted the .cab and the other files you can go ahead and download from SCCM (network location). It should work now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have downloaded the patches one of the server where Internet is working and the patch is in .cab format and given the full access to the share path still I am getting the system cannot find the file specified error when I am selecting "Download the updates from network location" on another server. Please suggest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also facing the same issues. Have you resolve your problem? possible share your solution?

      Delete
  7. you save my soul ,,, thank you muchly

    ReplyDelete